Timothy M. Kaufmann,
Alternative Dispute Resolution
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan
State Bar of Michigan, International Law Section Council Member & Co-Chair of the Emerging Markets Committee, Federalist Society, International Chamber of Commerce, Young Arbitrators Forum
Michigan State University, 2007
Michigan State University College of Law, 2011
Tim Kaufmann practices banking, real estate, corporate and bankruptcy law. He has represented Chemical Bank, and a number of private equity firms in both lending and special assets matters. He is as comfortable with simple residential transactions as he is with multi-million dollar Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases and has handled every sort of case in between.
Mr. Kaufmann also specializes in representing clients in all aspects of real estate law. Including complex commercial leases ( including multiple building corporate condominium plans), purchase agreements, land contracts, construction mortgages and subornation agreements.
Prior to joining Hewson & Van Hellemont, Mr. Kaufmann practiced in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan and Farmington Hills, Michigan. He successfully represented banks, insurers, re-insurers, corporations, business owners and individuals in many litigation matters. Mr. Kaufman also advised businesses and business owners in the technology, food service, manufacturing and finance industries on entity formations, acquisitions, joint ventures, transactional matters, employment and general corporate governance issues. His current work focuses on advising clients on litigation, corporate transactions, corporate governance and numerous other legal matters.
Mr. Kaufmann is active in the National Eagle Scout Association and his local Council’s Eagle Program. He is a Certified Civil Facilitative Mediator. He is also a member of the International Chamber of Commerce’s Young Arbitrators Forum.
- “Model International Dispute Resolution Clause,” by Timothy M. Kaufmann, Esq., State Bar of Michigan International Law Section, 2013.
- “Piracy: today and in the Future” by Timothy M. Kaufmann, Esp., SSRN, 10/19/2011.
- “Doing Business in Russia,” by Timothy M. Kaufmann, Esq., State Bar of Michigan International Law Section, Annual Meeting Materials, 2012.
- “Doing Business in Brazil,” by Timothy M. Kaufmann, Esq., State Bar of Michigan International Law Section Annual Meeting Materials, 2012.
- “Your Ethics or Mine: A Comparison of International Ethics” by Timothy M. Kaufmann, Esq., State Bar of Michigan International Law Section, 2011.
- “Breaks in the Chain of Title and Fraud and Forgery,” by Timothy M. Kaufmann, Esq., National Business Institute, January 18, 2016.
- “Joint Ventures in China” by Timothy M. Kaufmann, Esq., State Bar of Michigan International Law Section, May 16, 2012
- “Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Deeds, and Some Things You Might Not Want to Know,” by Timothy M. Kaufmann, Esq., presented to the North Oakland County Board of Realtors, October 17, 2013.
Oak Park, Michigan
Recent articles and blog posts by Timothy M. Kaufmann
- How do I protect my personal assets from the acts of my company?
- What happens if you don’t have an LLC or corporation and you’re doing business with other people?
- Stock, If You Can Imagine It, You Can Do It
- Do I need a corporation or a LLC?
- Should I use a CPA or an Attorney to set up my business?
- 4th Annual No-Fault Summit
- The End of Dower in Michigan
- Hewson & Van Hellemont attends West Michigan Trade Week
- Ladybird Deeds – An Oft Overlooked Estate Planning Tool
- Exiting the Transpacific Partnership
- Joint Ventures in Russia
- Joint Ventures in China
- Model Dispute Resolution Clause
- Piracy: Today and in the Future